Thursday, January 24, 2013

Beef Bourguignon Crockpot Style

Julia Child made Beef Bourguignon famous and believe me I wish I had the time to make her recipe.  Someday I might, but for right now my crockpot will have to do.  In fact I have two and they have prominent spots in my kitchen, very rarely do they go in the cabinet.  They are used almost every weekday, because even I have days when I come home and don't want to deal with dinner, my friend the crockpot does it for me.  With that said this may not be a weekday recipe it has more prep than most crockpot recipes.  I think this is the perfect Sunday night meal.  It's so pretty too, I mean look look at the picture.   So channel your inner Julia Child or just pretend you did, your family will be impressed!

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 lbs cubed stew meat or buy a roast of your choice and cube
4 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb button mushroom, cleaned and sliced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup red wine
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper.
Coat the beef cubes with this mixture.
Melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. 
Add the meat and brown well on all sides.
Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic to it.
Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion is tender.
Add the wine, bay leaf, parsley (leave some for garnish), and thyme.
Transfer the ingredients from the skillet to the crock pot.
Stir once and then cover with crock pot lid.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Garnish with parsley, serve over mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment