Sunday, February 3, 2013

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

So I'm really allergic to pineapple, which is really no fair because it smells so good.  I also really like to make pineapple upside down cake (I made 3 today).  One cake stayed at my house, one went home with Mel (the best tutor ever) and one went to a friend's house.  So I can't tell you if this cake tastes good but I can tell you it makes the house smell wonderful.   

1 stick butter
1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 can pineapple rings, drained
1 jar maraschino cherries, drained
1 box yellow cake mix (I like Duncan Hines)
3 eggs
1 cup water
1/3 cup canola oil

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Melt 1 stick butter in a 13x9 in. baking dish by placing in the oven.  The butter will melt in just a couple of minutes so keep an eye on it, you don't want to burn the butter.  Remove pan from oven and sprinkle brown sugar on the melted butter.  Arrange pineapple rings and place one cherry in each ring.  Then prepare your yellow cake mix according to the directions on the box.  I like to use canola oil instead of vegetable oil, just my preference.  Spread the prepared mix over the pineapple rings.  Place in the oven.  I baked mine for 30 minutes, use a toothpick to check, if it comes out clean it will be done.  Remove from oven.  Take a cookie sheet that is slightly bigger than your pan and cover with aluminum foil.  Place the cookie sheet upside down over the pan; turn the cookie sheet and pan over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan.


This is a picture I received from Mel about 20 minutes after she left with the cake, I think her family liked it!
If a pineapple is left in the pan just remove it with a fork and put back in place (happens all the time).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment