Sunday, February 3, 2013

Tomato Soup

I think I have made this soup every Sunday for the last 5 weeks.  The family keeps requesting it for Sunday dinner.  I always prefer to make my tomato soup with fresh tomatoes but this recipe makes it hard to tell the difference.  It gives you a little taste of summer and still warms you up in the wintry cold.

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups chicken stock ( I like Swanson low sodium)
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
1 half pint heavy whipping cream
Freshly grated parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot or dutch oven.  Add onions and cook for 15 minutes until golden brown, stir occasionally.  Add garlic, cook one more minute.  Then add chicken stock, tomatoes and salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.  Then pour in heavy cream, stirring continuously as you add.  Let simmer 10 more minutes.  You can serve now or if you have an immersion blender, you can blend until the soup is smooth.  I received a Wolfgang Puck immersion blender for Christmas last year and it may possibly be my favorite kitchen gadget.  If you don't have one add it to your wish list they are worth it.  Serve the tomato soup with some freshly grated parmesan.  Also, really good with grilled cheese.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment